What too do if a nightclub charged my credit card $2000 without my signature?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What too do if a nightclub charged my credit card $2000 without my signature?

Nightclub overcharged my card. Threw me out of club and charged me $2000 without my signature. Now they claim signature. Called credit card company the next day to tell them. They canceled card. Not sure what to do now. Can’t understand how they can charge me for just showing up.

Asked on September 7, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You are going to have to dispute the charge with the credit card company.  The credit card company should force the bar to show that the charges were authorized and a signature on the credit card payment slip.  That is how it begins.  If the credit card company can not clear it up then you may need legal help but the state attorney general can help and I would also complain to the state liquor authority that licenses them as well.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption