Nevada Community Property

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Nevada Community Property

My mother passed away in March 2012 and left me
with a life insurance policy, federal TSP acct,
etc. I purchased my home with proceeds June
2012 and married soon to be ex husband in 2013.
I never changed the vesting with title and
still reads unmarried sole and separate and all
big item purchases were purchased before
marriage – car truck 4×4 toys etc. Since the
home is owned free and clear does he have a
right to the equity? Even though NV is a
community property state, all were acquores
before the marriage.

Asked on February 21, 2018 under Family Law, Nevada


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Community property is property acquired during marriage.  Each spouse has a one half interest in community property.
Separate property  is property acquired before marriage or after the marriage ends.  A spouse has no claim to the other spouse's separate property.
Since you owned / purchased the house prior to marriage, it is your separate property and your spouse has no claim to it.  The car, truck, etc. that were purchased prior to marriage are also your separate property and therefore, your spouse has no claim to those items.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption