Name on title and Child had an accident

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 29, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Name on title and Child had an accident

I have a 24 year old daughter and she had an accident in a used car that I brought her. I purchased liability insurance for her in Sep 2016 and I think that she did not pay the insurance for Oct 2016 when she had the accident on Oct 22, 2016. Both our names are on the title, what is my responsibilities under Texas Law?

Asked on November 29, 2016 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Since both you and your daughter are the registered owners of the vehicle since both names are on the title, both of you are liable for the accident even though you weren't present.
If your daughter was at fault in the accident, you are liable for the property damage (cost of repairs to the vehicle not at fault in the accident) and you are liable for the personal injury claims of each occupant of the vehicle not at fault in the accident.  The personal injury claims will include compensation for the medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills) and wage loss.
Without insurance, you and your daughter will be sued for negligence by the party not at fault in the accident.  If you and your daughter can't afford to pay the court judgment against you, at that time it would be advisable to file bankruptcy.  Chapter 7 bankruptcy is straight liquidation which will eliminate that debt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption