What to do if my wife took the fall for me when we got in an accident and now wants to address it in our divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my wife took the fall for me when we got in an accident and now wants to address it in our divorce?

My wife and I were in an at fault accident while I was driving and she told the police that she was driving. A judgement was filed against her and now she won’t sign the divorce papers unless I somehow admit to

driving in the divorce papers. I don’t understand how I could possibly address the issue within the divorce and wouldn’t she then be charged with falsifying a statement?

Asked on October 30, 2017 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

And not only will you be charged SHE will be charged.  If she gave false information to the police and to your insurance company she could be in deep trouble as well.  Do you have an attorney?  Maybe you should speak with one who can "explain" things to her attorney and the ramifications on both of you. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption