What are my rights if wife denies me normal living necessities?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if wife denies me normal living necessities?

I have been married 18 years. I have been a stay at home dad for the last few years with a 17 year old son. My wife owns a home health care business started while we were married. I believe in MI that is ruled as community property in a divorce. She is our only income. My wife is a very controlling person. I am not even on the family bank account. I have no access to money I told her I wanted a divorce and now she stopped paying for my essentials. Now I don’t know what to do. She won’t get a lawyer and I have no money to get one What can I do?

Asked on October 30, 2017 under Family Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

So you are considered to be the "non-monied" spouse and you can go to Legal Aid or google "Michigan free legal services divorce" and there should come up a list of places that can help you.  You need to have your lawyer start the divorce proceedings and then make a motion for pendente lite (during the pendency of the action) relief, which includes support and could include exclusive use and occupancy of the marital home.  If the business was strted during the marriage it is considered marital property and needs to be valued for distribution purposes.  Now that your son is older you will likely be expected to return to the work force.  Speak with your attorney about rehabilitative maintenance.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption