If my wife passed 1 year ago and her mother passed last month, am I entitled to a share of my mother-in-law’s estate?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife passed 1 year ago and her mother passed last month, am I entitled to a share of my mother-in-law’s estate?

My mother-in law had 6 children (including my late wife). I want to know if my mother-in-law left all the children money and since my wife is no longer alive, am I entitled to her portion of the money?

Asked on December 16, 2015 under Family Law, Maryland


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your wife and your mother-in-law.
If your mother-in-law left a Will, the provisions of the Will are controlling in determining inheritance.
If your mother-in-law died intestate (without a Will), the rules of intestate succession determine inheritance.  
Under intestate succession, if your mother-in-law had a surviving spouse, he inherits her entire estate.  If there isn't a surviving spouse, then her estate is divided equally among her surviving children.  Your late wife's share of the estate would go to her children (your mother-in-law's grandchildren).  You would not inherit anything from your mother-in-law's estate under intestate succession.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption