My wife cheated and got pregnant. Am I responsible for supporting the child.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2019

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 3, 2019Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My wife cheated and got pregnant. Am I responsible for supporting the child.

My wife cheated on me and is now pregnant. We
are separated and have filed for divorce. She
did not inform me that she was pregnant until
after the divorce papers were filed. Am I
responsible for supporting a child that isn’t

Asked on September 3, 2019 under Family Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are not responsible if:
1) You can prove the child is not yours, such as by DNA testing; and also
2) You do not accept or treat the child as yours, since if you are still married (and if your divorce is not done, you are) and treat your wife's child as yours (or acknowledge as yours, etc.), the law presumes it is yours and that are responsible for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption