If my wife and I have split up but have not received an order of separation or divorce decree, what are my rights if she buys a house?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my wife and I have split up but have not received an order of separation or divorce decree, what are my rights if she buys a house?

Please explain the potential impact of this purchase. Can she close on a house by herself? Would I still be legally bound to it? Do they ask “are you married” during a closing? Is it a case of “1 to buy, 2 to sell”? 

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Family Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

So what you are saying is that you have physically split up but there are no legal documents filed at all?  Then there is not a date certain that someone - like the judge - to look at and say that the marriage has ended and the assets from here on out are separate and not marital, correct?  If you are not applying for the mortgage or signing any mortgage document or going to take title to the house by being on the deed I think that your wife has a lot to lose here and you are in the better position in the matter.  Income earned during a marriage is marital income.  Assets acquired during a marriage are presumed marital regardless of how the title is held.  So you would have a claim and she would have to prove that it was separate property if there are no other documents in place.  Seek some legal help n your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption