If my divorce is to be final in a week, can Istart over with another lawyer?

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my divorce is to be final in a week, can Istart over with another lawyer?

Is it possible. I feel like I got screwed.

Asked on June 14, 2011 under Family Law, South Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Oh my goodness.  What do you mean final in a week?  did you sign a divorce agreement and it is just the paperwork that needs to be finalized or stamped by the Judge?  I would absolutely consult with an attorney and bring your agreement with you but it may be very difficult to set the agreement aside.  You would really have to prove ineffectual counsel on the matter or some other reason that is used in contract law to set aside agreements like undue influence, coercion, etc.  If your attorney did not explain the law to you then have someone else explain it.  But really you need to hurry as soon as you can.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption