What are my chances of collecting unemploymentif I quit due to sexual discrimination and harassment?

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 11, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my chances of collecting unemploymentif I quit due to sexual discrimination and harassment?

I quit my job because my boss made inappropriate comments about women. I went to HR, but they said, “Take into consideration his cultural background (he’s from Pakistan). However he made such comments as :”You know how women are”; “We were telling blonde jokes, because you know how dumb blondes are” (I am blonde); “The workplace is harder on you because you are a woman.” He also made references to women not being able to learn things. I also quit because he was putting an unreasonable workload on me. I originally gave my 2 weeks notice but 2 days later things got so bad I told HR that I was leaving immediately. Should I file a suit with EEOC?

Asked on June 11, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Missouri


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

It would definitely be worthwhile contacting the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, your state's labor, civil rights, or equal employment agency, and/or consulting with a private attorney. Sexual harassment and discrimination are illegal in employment; if you have been a victim of it, which seems as if it may have been the case, based on what you write, you may have a claim and may be entitled to compensation. In addition, the harassment may have been enough that even though you techhically quit, that you could be considered to have been "constructively terminated" (or forced out) and therfore entitled to unemployment compensation--though in the future, since quitting voluntarily weakens your case, you'd be better off (if this ever happens again) to stick things out while contacing the EEOC or an attorney. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption