What grounds doI need to evict a tenant?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What grounds doI need to evict a tenant?

My tenant has been late with rent 3 times and has given me 2 bounced checks. Her sex offender boyfriend moved in-lease violation. Can I evict her?

Asked on March 6, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You probably cannot evict for a sex-offender moving in with her. You can evict for--

1) Nonpayment--the next time she does not pay on time, you could bring an eviction action as soon as she is late.

2) Habitual late payment of rent, though you need to provide her with the correct notice and opportunity to "cure," or correct, the behavior.

3) If she or any member of her household damages the premises intentionally or through gross negligence.

4) If she or any member of her household disturbs the peace of other residents of the building, after notice to stop doing so.

5) If she or a member of her household violate an provisions of a written lease, after notice to cease violations.

The first reason for eviction stated above is straightforward; assuming you own the building directly yourself, rather than through an LLC or corporation, you could bring that eviction action on your own. (If the building owner is an  LLC or corporation, however, you will need an attorney.) The other reasons are a bit more complex and, as discussed, require that the proper notice be served; you should consult with an attorney to explore those options.

Also: if she is a month-to-month tenant (which includes being a tenant on an oral, sometimes called verbal, lease), you could give her 30 days notice that her tenancy is being terminated, then evict her if she does not move. Or if she is on a written lease for a definite term and it does not have some sort of automatic renewal provision, if it's going to expire soon, do not renew it, then bring an eviction action if she holds over without permission.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption