What to do if my sister signed and dated a resignation of co-trustee but didn’t have it notarized and now will not do so?

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 16, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my sister signed and dated a resignation of co-trustee but didn’t have it notarized and now will not do so?

The bank will not take her off the trust account without it being notarized. I will be selling a house in the trust. I’m assuming that can’t be done either?

Asked on December 16, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

You should obtain the assistance of probate legal counsel who will have to file a petititon in the probate court to amend the trust to have you confirmed as the sole trustee by court order, upon a declaration of facts you stated above, which will allow you to conduct the sale of the house and distribute the proceeds per the provisions of the trust, and be able to show the bank a certified court order amending the trust appointing you as the sole trustee. For these extra legal fees and costs, you may want to also seek an order charging your sister's share from the trust if she is a beneficiary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption