If my parents are undocumented immigrants here in the US, do they have any chance in getting residency or citizenship?

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 5, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my parents are undocumented immigrants here in the US, do they have any chance in getting residency or citizenship?

My dad has been in the country for more than 20 years and more mom has been here for about 19 years. They have had no trouble in this country except for the fact of entering illegally. I am concerned for my situation and theirs because I’m pretty sure I’ll be having trouble getting into college and they deserve a chance. I was born here and I can’t even get my driver’s permit.

Asked on September 5, 2014 under Immigration Law, Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you were in fact born in the US, you are a US citizen and should not have any issues with a driver's permit or getting into college assuming you satisfy other requirements for this.  For your parents, however, if they entered the US unlawfully, even if they have never done anything wrong, under the current immigration laws, they are not eligible to legalize their status within the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption