If my mom passed with no Will and 5 children, what is the easiest way to give mysister my share of the inheritance?

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 15, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my mom passed with no Will and 5 children, what is the easiest way to give mysister my share of the inheritance?

My mom did however phone me days before she passed, and I am guessing my other 4 siblings also, stating she wanted to give her home to my sister. Since there is no Will, legally her estate is split between the 5 of us. I would like to have my part go to my sister. I know about a disclaimer but with that I cannot direct my part to my sister.

Asked on February 15, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


walter cox / The Law offices of Walter C. Cox, Jr and Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

you may draft an assignment of your interest in your mothers estate and assign it to your sister. File it with the administrator of the estate which would be one of your siblings. Maybe you would be the one to apply for and be appointed administrator of the estate.  go to the Probate Court and talk to them about the forms necessary to have yourself appointed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption