Wat t do if my mother died leaving me a 25% stake in a shared ownership property?

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wat t do if my mother died leaving me a 25% stake in a shared ownership property?

She paid rent on the remaing 75% to a housing company. The company want me to pay rent on the empty and vacant house, until it is sold. I cannot do this, as I am on benefits myself. How do I stand legally by not paying the rent? The property is in England UK. We are not allowed to sublet the house, nor will the company buy the 25%.

Asked on January 20, 2013 under Real Estate Law, North Carolina


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  What exactly happened here and the requirements in the UK are unclear.  But generally speaking, you can "renounce" the inheritance left to you by your Mother.  That would mean that you would not owe anything on the property.  But since it is hard to figure out what happened exactly with the matter I would go and speak with legal aid or a free clinic or pro bono section of the local Bar Association and ask them to help  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption