What to do if my mom died intestate with less than $50,000 of property but has a large amount of hospital bills?

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 19, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my mom died intestate with less than $50,000 of property but has a large amount of hospital bills?

Her only assets are roughly $7,000 in bank accounts. If I file a transfer by affidavit with the bank to obtain that money, can the hospital still come after me for that money to cover the bills?

Asked on April 19, 2013 under Estate Planning, Wisconsin


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

The hospital is entitled to any and all assets as a creditor and will file a creditor claim to the extent of the amount owed, into any estate filed for probate with the court. Her estate is for her and any medical care she is or was entitled to. If the savings account was payable to you on death, then that money is yours, and not subject to claim by hospital.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption