Do I have any legal options if my pain management doctor reduced my medication after 2 years because of his fear of the DEA?

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Do I have any legal options if my pain management doctor reduced my medication after 2 years because of his fear of the DEA?

Even though I have a verified back injury from my surgeon?

Asked on March 9, 2013 under Malpractice Law, Virginia


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

How do you know thatreducitng your pain medication is out of fear of the DEA? Did you doctor say that was the reason, the sole reason, for making this change? Is there any other medical reason for doing this? Is filling your old prescription against federal/state law under new guidelines/regulations? Without more information it's hard ot advise. The fact is that if your doctor has a valid medicalreason for the reduction, there is no malpractice being committed; he did not after all completely take you off your meds. At this point, you may want to get more information and speak directly with a criminal law attorney in your area. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption