What to do if my landlord won’t return my deposit due to alleged needed repairs but my walk-through did not bring these issues up?

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord won’t return my deposit due to alleged needed repairs but my walk-through did not bring these issues up?

I recently had a previous landlord ask me for a large amount of repairs after my walk-through of the property showed no repairs needed. After doing a walk-through of the property I gave her property manager the keys with the expectation that the rental property was left in the same condition that I received it. Now the landlord is not going to refund the money because she hired another property manager that requested a large amount of repairs. Should I be held responsible for repairs that I did not consent to in my first and only wok through and after I gave the property keys back?

Asked on March 2, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Arizona


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all state sin this country, a landlord is required to return a tenant's security deposit within 21 to 45 days of move out depending upon the state one lives in. If your former landlord fails to return your security deposit in the stated time period, your recourse is to bring a small claims action against him or her.

If you had a written check list for the walk through of the former rental, you should not be responsible for damage not stated in the document. The problem I see is if you did not get a written check list for the final walk through. If that happened, I can see how the landlord will want as much in damages that he or she can get from your security deposit. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption