What can I do if my landlord is trying to evict me because I got injured due to him not repairing like I requested?

UPDATED: May 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do if my landlord is trying to evict me because I got injured due to him not repairing like I requested?

Asked on May 14, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Idaho


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the landlord for retaliatory eviction for trying to evict you because you were injured.  Retaliatory eviction means the landlord is retaliating against you and is evicting you for something that is not a breach of the lease.

Your lawsuit should also include a separate cause of action (claim) for negligence.  Negligence is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable landlord would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).  In order to prove negligence, you would need to prove duty (of due care mentioned above), breach of duty (failure to exercise due care), actual cause, proximate cause and damages.

Actual cause means but for the landlord not making the repairs, would you have been injured?  If the answer is no, actual cause has been established.  Proximate cause means are there any unforeseeable, intervening acts which would relieve the landlord of liability?  If the answer is no, proximate cause has been establihsed.  Damages means the amount of compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit.  The amount of damages for retaliatory eviction varies from state to state and may be limited by statute.  The amount of damages you can recover for negligence would include compensation for your medical bills, compensation for pain and suffering, which is an amount in addition to the medical bills and compensation for wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is determined by the medical reports which will document the nature and extent of your injury.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

You will need to file your lawsuit prior to the expiration of the applicable statute of limitations or you will lose your rights forever  in the matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption