What is my recourse if my insurer is refusing to honor its obligations?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is my recourse if my insurer is refusing to honor its obligations?

I have I have sustained hail damage to my home…everyone else in the neighborhood that sustained damage is getting a new roof. My insurance company is refusing to cover my homes damage an estimate on the cost for repair and photographic documentation of exactly what the damage consists of. I additionally have photos of the 2 inch hail a foot deep outside of my home following the storm which caused the damage.

Asked on September 4, 2019 under Insurance Law, South Dakota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If you believe that under the terms of your policy and given the facts, they shold be paying your claim, your option is to sue them for breach of contract--the insurance policy is a contract, so for violating their contractual obligations. You'd need to prove in court that in this situation, under the policy's terms, they should have paid. That, however, will not help you if they are illiquied and do not have the money to pay, since a successful lawsuit does not make money appear where there is none.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption