If my husband recently passed away, am I liable for his debts?

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 12, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my husband recently passed away, am I liable for his debts?

We have a motorhome that is not paid for; it is in his name only. The insurance is in his name only and the registration is in his name only. The original contract with the bank in his name only. Am I responsible for this and his credit cards or his medical bills?

Asked on November 12, 2013 under Estate Planning, California


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you purchased it during your marriage, you may be responsible as this can be considered a marital asset. Of course, the creditor would most likely have to file a claim against the estate and then include you in the suit to obtain those monies. Any marital debts are going to be jointly yours so at this point you may wish to consider whether you intend to keep the home and whether you intend on continuing to pay it. If you are, you may wish to pay it off and then transfer the title but in the interim you may wish to change the insurance if it is going to be used.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption