If one co-owner wants to transfer their interest in the property to another co-owner, how do they do it?

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 13, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If one co-owner wants to transfer their interest in the property to another co-owner, how do they do it?

My husband is willing to put house jointly held in both our names in my name solely, after having affair? How do we do this? Do we need to notify bank? We want to stay married in the house together; we’ve been married 31 years.

Asked on September 13, 2011 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your spouse want to place legal title to your home that you share with him jointly, the best way to do so is to retain a real estate attorney to draft a deed transferring title to it to you partially. In California, for estate tax purposes a married couple can place their holdings as "community property with the right of survivorship."

The benefit for holding property as such as opposed to a joint tenancy between married couples is that upon the passing of the first married couple when the property is held as "community property with the right of survivorship" there is a stepped up basis as to the property's value upon death of the first spouse which can assist in minimizing future capital gains if the property is then resold.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption