What to do if my husband has a judgement for a repo that happened before we got married?

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband has a judgement for a repo that happened before we got married?

After we married we moved into the house that I owned. Can we sell his property (owned solely by him) to satisfy the debtor would our best bet be to turn the land over to the bank? There is a lien on the land by the bank. Will they take the land as a payment for the repo debt?

Asked on February 21, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If there is a judgment owed by your husband for a debt before you married him, he is solely responsible for that obligation not you. However, under certain laws regarding maritial assets one half of the assets obtained during your marriage could be subject to pay off his debt.

If your husband wishes to sell property owned by him to pay off this judgment where the net assets from the sale can be used to pay off the judgment, that is one possibility to eliminate the judgment against him.

Most likely the judgment creditor will prefer cash to pay off the judgment owed by your husband as opposed to a land transfer for satisfaction of the judgment. I suggest that you and your husband consult with an attorney that practices in the area of consumer law to assist you for any further questions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption