What to do if my husband had an affair for 2 years, so I contacted his mistress and now she has threatened to file harassment charges?

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 11, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my husband had an affair for 2 years, so I contacted his mistress and now she has threatened to file harassment charges?

I contacted the husband of his mistress with the details of their affair. He asked me to stop e mailing him. I did. I contacted the mistress to ask her some questions about the affair. She told me that she was going to file stalking or harassment charges against me. I told her I would not contact her further. I was never threatening. I only stated facts and asked questions. Can I be charged with anything?

Asked on October 11, 2013 under Criminal Law, Michigan


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Legally, if you did not threaten, blackmail, etc. and ceased  contact when requested to, you did nothing legally wrong and there  is no basis for charges. Practically, if she is prepared to lie and fabricate things--e.g. claiming that you followed her, threatened her during a phone call or in person, etc.--then you could face charges for harassment, assault, etc. (depending on exact circumstances) if her testimony to the authorities is credible. You'd be unlikely to be convicted, though, in the absence of some hard evidence, as long as your testimony to the contrary is also credible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption