my grandmother wants to sell her property to move out of state

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my grandmother wants to sell her property to move out of state

a few years ago my grandmother needed help to keep her house. i pulled over 20,000 in personal loans to help her keep the house. the loans are a few thousand dollars less today. now she wants to sell the home but the loans are in my name and she is on SSI and social security. as we know it she can only sell her home to buy another home and repair it, but not to pay bills that are not hers and not on the property. she must also pay for her move and furnishing her new home. how would she be able to do that or can she? she does pay the loans and there is a contract signed for them.

Asked on November 27, 2017 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

The personal loans and the sale of real estate are completely unconnected: one does not affect the other unless she gave you a mortgage (a security interest in; i.e. the right to foreclose on if not paid) on the property. Otherwise, while she still has to pay you according to the terms of the loan, it has nothing to do with her home sale and the loans do not have to be paid out of the sale proceeds.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption