If my girlfriend moved in with me in my condo about 7 months ago but now I want her to leave, what can I do to make her move out?

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 1, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my girlfriend moved in with me in my condo about 7 months ago but now I want her to leave, what can I do to make her move out?

She refuses to leave. We have no rental agreement.

Asked on July 1, 2015 under Real Estate Law, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I'm assuming that you own the condo. As the property owner, you will have to take appropriate legal action. This means that you don't attempt any self-help measures, such as changing the locks or removing her belongings from the premises. You can face a claim for unlawful eviction if you do.

The necessary legal requiremnts will vary from state-to-state. However typically if your ex-girlfriend paid rent (or any form of rent such as paying for food, utilty bills, etc.), then she will be considered to be a tenant and you will have to file an "unlawful detainer" action (this is an eviction lawsuit). If she never paid any form of rent then she will be deemed to be a "licensee" (i.e. someone who was invited onto the premises and permitted to stay), in which case you need to will file for an "ejectment" suit.

In either case, you will have to first serve her notice to vacate. If she still fails to leave, then you will need to go to court. Once the case is settled in your favor the judge will issue a "writ of possession". With that in hand, if she fails to vacate the premises, you can have the sheriff come and remove her physically if necessary.

At this point, you should consult with an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant matters. They can best advise as to specific state law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption