If my girlfriend is pregnant with my child and wants to move to Brazil to raise my child, what rights do I have as a father?

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my girlfriend is pregnant with my child and wants to move to Brazil to raise my child, what rights do I have as a father?

What kind of lawyer do I need to have?

Asked on October 20, 2012 under Family Law, Florida


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Once the child is born, you can file a custody suit to have yourself officially declared "dad" and to set up a visitation schedule to insure that you have time with the child.  Courts can and have placed residency restrictions on parents who maintain primary custody of the child, but usually only do so on a showing of good cause.  The facts of your situtation may or may not get the judge to limit where she lives with the child.  You need to find out where in Brazil she plans to reside.  You may be able to argue that you could provide a better living environment in the states-- depending on where exactly she is going. 

As far as rights, once you are officially declared "dad", you have the same rights as the mother.  However, the judge will usually only grant one parent the right to decide the primary residence of the child. 

A family law attorney can help you with the filing of the custody suit and developing factors to either get custody or have a residency restriction placed on your girlfriend. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption