If my girlfriend and I want to get married but she is illegal, how would us marrying help her to get her green card?

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 6, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my girlfriend and I want to get married but she is illegal, how would us marrying help her to get her green card?

What would we have to do after our marriage? Do same sex marriages get granted the same benefits of getting their green cards if marrying a US citizen?

Asked on September 6, 2014 under Immigration Law, California


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The same sex issue is no longer an issue since those marriages are now eligible for immigration benefits.  However, the fact that your girlfriend is in the US unlawfully may pose a problem.  If she entered the US lawfully but overstayed, this can be overcome, probably.  However, if she entered the US unlawfully, under the current immigration laws, she would not be eligible to legalize her status within the US even through  marriage to a US citizen.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption