Can my friend use my home address to use as a business branch office address?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my friend use my home address to use as a business branch office address?

My friend has a company in China. He want to use my address as the branch office’s address in MD. Do I need a legal contract or some tax documentsation? Is there some reason why I shouldn’t do this?

Asked on June 16, 2011 under Business Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

Can he do this? a general proposition, a foreign company can use a domestic address as a business address.

Should you do this--probably not:

1) If you are his branch office, if he gets sued, there's a good chance you'll get sued. Especially since he's in China--if someone in the U.S. is wronged, defrauded, etc. by his company, who do you think they'll try to sue--the Chinese office, or the local one? Even if you can win or even get the suit dismissed, do you want to be involved in litigation and take the chance of judgment going against you?

2) If  he breaks the law, you could face criminal liability for  being complicit.

3) If your town has rules about running businesses out of residences, you could find yourself in violation and subject to penalites.

In short, there is ALOT of downside. Only do this IF there's so much credible potential upside that it's worth hiring a lawyer and getting insurance to make sure everything is set up in the safest way possible.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption