What are my rights if my father was killed in an auto accident caused by the other driver?

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 27, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my rights if my father was killed in an auto accident caused by the other driver?

The other man crossed the center line while driving to prevent a horse trailor he was pulling from going into a ditch. Due to this, the cars ended in a head-on collision and my father and the other driver’s wife were killed. Now my mother had been sworn under oath at the probate court, where she cannot further get anything more out of the man responsible for the accident. Is there any chance at reopening the case by myself? I’m 23 years of age and wanted to know, since I hadn’t sworn under oath for anything yet so far. Please let me know as soon as you can. I wasn’t sure if this would be a vehicular manslaughter case or not. Again please let me know.

Asked on June 27, 2013 under Personal Injury, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney to see what legal recourse you may have for a potential wrongful death action against the driver of the vehicle who was involved in the accident with your father. You may have a basis for suing the other driver and having his insurance carrier pay you for your loss.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption