If my father and I are both registered owners of 3 paid off vehicles and he is recently deceased, do I become sole owner?

UPDATED: Jun 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my father and I are both registered owners of 3 paid off vehicles and he is recently deceased, do I become sole owner?

I recieved and paid the registration for years now. Am I the sole owner?

Asked on June 22, 2012 under Estate Planning, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

You need to see how legal title are with the vehicles is held as joint tenancy or not. If title in the vehicles are your and your father's name as joint tenants, then you end up owning the vehicles by surviving your father. I suggest that you get a certified copy of your father's death certificate and go down to your local department of motor vehicles to see if you can then place them solely in your name at this time.

If title are in joint tenancy, you are the sole owner of them.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption