If my ex-boyfriend left me with debt from his former business, what do I do?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my ex-boyfriend left me with debt from his former business, what do I do?

I’m getting bills from unpaid debt with my name on them from my exboyfriends former business he was a contractor. I only wrote one check to the company to help him out, but I wasn’t involved in the project. They are trying to come after me for the debt and won’t take my name off the invoices. My ex-boyfriend left for Montana and cannot be reached. What are my options?

Asked on July 18, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you can prove that you were not an owner of the business and/or were not personally involved in some other way in that project, you should not be liable for any amounts due. You can try to prove this to the creditors yourself, but since it can be hard to prove a "negative"--i.e. that you were  not involved--you are advised  to retain an attorney to help you sort this out. If the amount at stake is less than the cost of a lawyer, you may wish to consider paying it or trying to settle for a mutually agreeable amount as being the most expedient way to resolve the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption