My ex refuses to pay court ordered alimony

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My ex refuses to pay court ordered alimony

How to make my ex pay court ordered spousal support??

Asked on March 13, 2018 under Family Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Your only recourse is to pursue contempt of court against your ex.
You will need to file with the court an Order to Show Cause, in order to have a hearing on contempt of court.  Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing.  Include the date/time/department of the hearing in your Order to Show Cause.  With the Order to Show Cause, also file with the court your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts in support of your contempt of court claim.  Also, file any other documents or items if applicable, that will provide supporting evidence of your contempt of court claim.  File all of these documents and a proof of service (court form) with the court.  Mail a copy of your court-filed documents including the proof of service to your ex  to provide your ex with notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption