My elderly parents want to resign as trustees of their trust and appoint me…

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My elderly parents want to resign as trustees of their trust and appoint me…

… but they don’t want to pay the lawyer fees to do it — 1500-2500. Can we do it on our own? They want me to be able to handle their affairs since they have both been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. Right now they are okay but eventually they will need a lot of care. I am named as successor trustee in the trust right now.

Asked on August 18, 2018 under Estate Planning, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if you are already named as the successor trustee, they can do this: all they need to do is to draft and sign a document stating that they resign as and going forward refuse to serve as trustee. The document shoud be witnessed and notarized the same way the documents creating the trust in the first place were witnessed and notarized when the trust was set up (i.e. follow the same formalities). If the trust documents require that a named trustee do anything when resigning, also do whatever this trust requires.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption