If I’m on salary pay and I leave the job a week before the pay period, am I still entitled to a paycheck?

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 13, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m on salary pay and I leave the job a week before the pay period, am I still entitled to a paycheck?

I was also called a “loser” and asked, “Are you ready to get fired today?” by my training manager.

Asked on February 13, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you are entitle to your paycheck. Of course, you only must be paid for all days actually worked; the company may therefore pro rate your check accordingly. For example: say you are paid $52,000 per year, or $1,000 per week. Say you are paid every two weeks, and therefore your gross pay should be $2,000 per check. If you leave one week before the end of the pay period, you would only get $1,000 gross in that check, not $2,000--but they still do have to pay you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption