What to do if my dog just bit someone and she is unlicensed in my town?

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 24, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my dog just bit someone and she is unlicensed in my town?

My dog was growling but my daughter’s friend’s mom decided she was going to pet her anyway, so I think my dog was scared and nipped her. She had to go to the ER to have it checked.

Asked on September 24, 2013 under Personal Injury, Massachusetts


Anne Brady / Law Office of Anne Brady

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If your dog bit someone, the first thing you should do is volunteer to pay any and all of her related medical bills, if you haven't already.  This will make her less likely to sue you.  You should also have your dog checked out by a vet to make sure there isn't anything wrong with the dog. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption