What to do if my 19 year old daughter was charged with underage drinking at a nightclub?

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my 19 year old daughter was charged with underage drinking at a nightclub?

She is a university student on a sports scholarship. She did not buy a drink herself. She only took a sip of a drink that was on the table in front of her that someone else bought. Most of the night she was looking after a drunk girlfriend.

Asked on April 24, 2012 under Criminal Law, Kansas


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Your daughter was most likely cited for being a Minor in Possession of Alcohol, which is a misdemeanor in most states. Anyone under the age of 21 cannot be in possession of alcohol, even if it was just a sip. She may be able to avoid a criminal conviction from going on her record due to her age and the fact that she is currently enrolled in school.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption