If my dad is filing for divorce from his wife tomorrow, can he then have her removed from the house?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my dad is filing for divorce from his wife tomorrow, can he then have her removed from the house?

He is the sole owner of the house and has been since prior to the marriage. He owned it for over 10 years prior to the marriage and it remains solely in his name. After he files, is he able to contact the police and have her removed from his home. They have no children together.

Asked on August 30, 2015 under Family Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

No, he can NOT remove her from the home. One spouse may not remove another spouse from the marital home--the place where they lived as a married couple--even if the home is solely in his name though if it's solely is and predated the marriage, he should get it in the divorce. They will have to live together in the home, unless one or the other voluntarily moves out, until the divorce is complete, they are no longer married, and the property/assets distributed. And by the way the police do not eject people in any event even if she had just been his girlfriend, not his wife, if she did not leave voluntarily, since she had been allowed to live there but was not a rent-paying tenant, he would have had to file an action for "ejectment" in court and get a court order removing her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption