My brother in law took the title away from y husband while under severe deress .

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

My brother in law took the title away from y husband while under severe deress .

Last november my brother in law took the
title away from my husband while he was
very ill,and under deress. California
has a law for community i
have any rights to the home

Asked on July 24, 2019 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can challenge the transaction if you can show, such as by medical evidence (e.g. the testimony of doctors who were treating your husband at the time) thatyour husband was not mentally competent (e.g. due to the illness or medication he was on) at the time he agreed to this. Or if you can show that the "duress" was actually illegal threats, such as of violence or blackmail. But if he was mentally competent and it was just a bad decison on his part, or if he gave into his brother repeatedly asking him but the brother never made illegal threats, there is most likely nothing you can do.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption