What t do if my boyfriend was driving my car but it was uninsured and another driver rear-ended him?

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 20, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What t do if my boyfriend was driving my car but it was uninsured and another driver rear-ended him?

Now I am without a car and I am being told I could lose my licence etc. Is there anything I can do?

Asked on March 20, 2013 under Accident Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Did you know that he was driving your car (i.e. did you give him permission to use it)? If so, did you know that he wasn't properly licensed? Your liability depends on what you did and did not know regarding this incident.

If you were aware that he was unlicensed and let him drive then you are in some trouble here; if you did not kno that he ws not licnesed and he took your car without permission, then you have a defense. Aitionally, if you gave him ppermission )whther or not you knew that he was unlicensed), you are still in trouble because you let someone use your uninsured vehicle. Without more information, it's hard to say. At this point, you should consult directly with an attorney in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption