Jeffrey Johnson is a legal writer with a focus on personal injury. He has worked on personal injury and sovereign immunity litigation in addition to experience in family, estate, and criminal law. He earned a J.D. from the University of Baltimore and has worked in legal offices and non-profits in Maryland, Texas, and North Carolina. He has also earned an MFA in screenwriting from Chapman Univer...

Full Bio →

Written by

UPDATED: Jun 19, 2018

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Editorial Guidelines: We are a free online resource for anyone interested in learning more about legal topics and insurance. Our goal is to be an objective, third-party resource for everything legal and insurance related. We update our site regularly, and all content is reviewed by experts.

Visitor visas are non-immigrant visas allowing people to enter the United States temporarily for purposes of business (B-1), pleasure or medical treatment (B-2), or both (B-1/B-2). Although B-1/B-2 visas might state that they are valid for “multiple entries” into the United States, it is your responsibility to depart the country upon expiration of your initial authorized stay. This is usually no longer than 6 months. So no, you cannot remain in the United States for as long as your B-1/B-2 visa is valid.

After the authorized period expires, you must either obtain an extension, change visa categories, or leave the United States. Any period beyond that authorized by the Department of Homeland Security constitutes unlawful presence in the United States. Every day of unlawful presence, in turn, counts toward a 3 or 10-year bar precluding the visa holder from re-entering the United States.

I-94 Record of Arrival & Departure

Temporary visitors entering the United States under a B-1 or B-2 visas are given a small white card called an I-94 Record of Arrival/Departure. It is important to keep this card with your passport. The I-94 marks your date of admission and states your maximum period of stay in the United States. It will usually state that you are permitted to remain in the United States “for a period not to exceed” a certain date. With few exceptions, failure to depart the United States by that date will result in the accrual of unlawful presence, barring your re-entry once you depart the United States.

Although visitor visas are valid for up to 10 years, they do not necessarily authorize the holder to remain in the United States for the entire period. Rather, the I-94 determines the maximum period of stay. Further, B-1 and B-2 visas are just that—non-immigrant visas permitting their holders to stay for a temporary period not to exceed that designated on the I-94. They are not meant for individuals intending to immigrate to the United States.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

 Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

B-1/B-2 Visas and Employment in the United States

B-1/B-2 visas do not authorize employment in the United States. Working is not within the scope of such visas because they only entitle the holder to visit, receive medical treatment, or conduct narrowly specified business within a short period of time. Unauthorized work performed during this period is taken seriously and could result in complicating future applications for relief, including adjustment of status to legal permanent residence. As such, other travelers to the United States, such as students, temporary workers, and crewmen must obtain different visas to visit the United States. B-1 and B-2 visitors are for business and pleasure only.

Applying for a B-1/B-2 Visa

Applicants for B-1/B-2 visas are encouraged to apply at the U.S. Consulate or embassy in their country of origin. They must complete Form OF-156, have a valid passport to travel to the United States, and present two photographs for each applicant. In order to better understand what is permitted under these visas, it is best to consult an immigration lawyer. Your attorney can help you apply for a visitor visa and explore future forms of relief for which you might be eligible once you are admitted to the United States.