my aunt died in may. i was a beneficiary. i haven’t heard anything from probate

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

my aunt died in may. i was a beneficiary. i haven’t heard anything from probate

i dont know who the executor was. i live in HI. she lived and died in WA.

Asked on November 21, 2017 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  You will need to do a little investigative work here in order to get information on the estate and the probate.  I would contact the local bar asocation in the county of the state in which your Aunt resided at the time of her death.  Ask for referrals for Estate attorneys or a court service that obtains documents then call around and speak with someone who will do some work for you on a flat rate basis.  You need some one to go to the local Probate court and obtain the information you need.  Generally a paralegal or even a court service can obtain the inforamtion on your behalf.  Probate files are public records.  You can then find out who the executor is and the status of the estate.  Why I think an attorney would be best is because then you can lay out a plan with someone to represent you from so far away.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption