What to do if my apartment complex towed my car because I hadn’t driven it in 2 weeks?

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my apartment complex towed my car because I hadn’t driven it in 2 weeks?

They say that they put a tow sticker on my car, but I did not see it. I was away from home for a few days and when I got back, my car was gone. It took 6 days for my apartment manager to call me back about where my car was. In fact, because it took them so long I filed a stolen car report and the police found my car. My car has legal tags, and is drivable. The complex is not accepting responsibility and I will lose my car because I cannot pay to get it out. Is this legal?

Asked on December 27, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Kansas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written, I suggest that you get a quick bridge loan to get your vehicle out of storage and then file a small claims court action against the apartment complex for the associated costs that you have incurred. You need to save your vehicle and then deal with the complex.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption