What are my legal options if my 4 year old son had is fingertip taken off when a teacher at his daycare shut a door on his finger?

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 9, 2013Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What are my legal options if my 4 year old son had is fingertip taken off when a teacher at his daycare shut a door on his finger?

It was an internal door to the kitchen that should always be shut. Now, 13 stitches later we are trying to attach the fingertip and daily/nightly he has screaming pain. Do we have a case?

Asked on November 9, 2013 under Personal Injury, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If the teacher was negligent, or unreasonably careless--such as slamming a door without looking when there are little, not always paying attention, fingers around; or having a door that should have been secured for safety reasons open, as you seem to indicate--then the teacher and the school may be liable. For an injury as severe as you describe, it would be well worth it to consult with an attorney about this case in detail. Good luck to you and your son.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption