If my 19 year old son is accused of stealing and the cops want to talk to him, should we have a lawyer with him?

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 2, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If my 19 year old son is accused of stealing and the cops want to talk to him, should we have a lawyer with him?

My son has told me that he did not steal the dirt bike; that someone he knew from school asked him to hold it for him and that he could use it if he wanted to. I don’t know if I believe him or not but I want to give him the benefit of the doubt.The police have told me they have enough proof to arrest him. They have a picture of a dirt bike in our garage and someone has told them they saw him riding a dirt bike. He says he gave it back to the kid who gave it to him and that he only knows the kid by a nickname and has no idea where it is now. He’s afraid to talk to the cops alone.

Asked on June 2, 2012 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


Andrew Goldberg

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Every attorney has different opinions on whether yor 19 year old son should give a statement. I would first hire an attorney and let him or her make that decision after talking to your son. Even if he did not steal it, it could be receiving stolen propert.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption