Must a beneficiary provide his/her social security number so that it can be included in a will in the state of Nevada?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Must a beneficiary provide his/her social security number so that it can be included in a will in the state of Nevada?

Mother lives in Nevada. Son and grandchildren live on the east coast. The mother has asked for the social security numbers of the grandchildren which the son is reluctant to give out. She says it is required. Is it?

Asked on May 10, 2019 under Estate Planning, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is not required by the law. But it can be required by the "testator," or person making the will (the mother, in this case). No one has to have a will, or if they have a will, has to leave anything to any given person, even children or grandchildren. The person making the will is free to require whatever information he or she wants for someone to be included in the will. If that information is not provided, the testator is free to not leave anything to that person.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption