Ho to make an agreement regarding payment of college expenses binding?

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 27, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Ho to make an agreement regarding payment of college expenses binding?

My daughter is turning 18 in 3 months and going off to college in the fall. Her father and I have been divorced since she was an infant. He has been paying child support since we have been divorced, however, that will end when she turns 18. We have both agreed to pay 50% of her college expenses. Do I need to seek legal assistance to make this binding or is there a way I can make this binding without having to incur legal fees?

Asked on January 27, 2012 under Family Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I mean no disrespect to her Father and I am sure he is an upstanding guy. But since his legal obligation ends in 3 months I would take no chances of his renegging on the deal and seek legal help to amend your prior agreement.  And you want to be able to sue him in case.  Better safe than sorry.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption