What to do if my landlord wants to move me to another room afterI have already moved in?

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 2, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if my landlord wants to move me to another room afterI have already moved in?

I was given the large room in a 2 bedroom apartment and have been here already for about 3 weeks. My landlord now wants to change me because they promise the largest room to another student. What actions can I take to keep my room?

Asked on September 2, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Minnesota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease with the landlord that you are in, you are entitled to that room for the duration of your lease in that the written lease that you have for the unit you are renting controls the obligations that you owe your landlord and vice versa in the absence of conflicting state law.

If you are entitled to the room you are in, you have no legal obligation to move just because your landlord wishes you to. If you are willing to consider changing the room you have to another at the landlord's request, perhaps the landlord would be willing to reduce your monthly rent substantially for the move?

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption