What can I do about my suspension from work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What can I do about my suspension from work?

I had a small issue with my property management. I had to get out of a lease as it was for 8 months and I was there only for 3 months. Also, the location where I live was very bad and the surroundings were not nice. So I asked my manager to provide me a letter stating that I will be transferring to the other office. Of course ethically it is wrong but just for the property management’s records they wanted it. He thought about it but refused. I went directly to the HR explaining my situation and told them that I needed a letter and if it is something not appropriate, I also said I do not want it. So the HR Director got back to me and suspended me for a week without pay. I was being honest in going directly to them and letting them know my problem, which I understand is not their problem. I was actually in fear whether I would pay the remaining balance, so I went to HR to request a letter as I already gave a notice to vacate. I know the HR is mad at me. However, I know ethically it is wrong on me to ask for a letter. What can I do after I going back to work? I am really do not want to loose this job.

Asked on September 9, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Illinois


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There probably isn't much that you can do, that is unless the terms of any suspension or termination are covered in an empoyment contract or union agreement. Otherwise, as an "at will" worker, your company can set the conditions of your employment much as it sees fit (absent some form of legally actionable discrimination). Accordingly, you csn be further disciplined up to and including termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption