Legally stay in USA after B1 visa stay over

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Legally stay in USA after B1 visa stay over

I am 38 years and from India. I have B1 visa which is valid for another 7 years. I went the U.S. almost 3 years ago and came back within time period, 7 months later. I am eligible to go back. I want to go back but this time I want to settle there legally and work, so what are ways for that?

Asked on November 24, 2017 under Immigration Law, West Virginia


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

the visa may be valid for 7 years but it does not mean that you can stay in the US for 7 years; it simply means that d uring the validity period of the visa, you can make multiple entries to the US.  each stay in the US is actually governed by the I-94 you are issued at the port of entry.  if you are interested in working in the US, you will need to get a job offer from a US employer and that employer would need to file a work visa petition on your behalf which would need to get approved in order for you to work with authorization in the US.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption